Dr. Jess is a sex and relationship expert, keynote speaker, television personality and
1. As a sex & relationship expert, author, speaker, councillor and television personality you have already accomplished more than some do in a career and we suspect you are just getting started 😉. What are you most excited about in your career going forward?
2. What do you love about your field?
3. In your opinion, how are sex and sleep related? Do you get better sleep after sex? Do you have better sex when you've had a good night's sleep? Can you still have great sex when your exhausted? Or, are the two completely independent and unrelated?
4. What advice can you give couples that live together and, of course, share a bed to keep the bedroom a sensual space? A lot of us are guilty of watching TV in bed simply because it's so cozy! But, does it ruin romance?
5. As a Toronto native, what are your favourite summertime date night activities to do in the city?
I’m a daytime date person, because our nights tend to be full of social events.
We live in Corktown, so a walk to Sumach Espresso with my husband and pup is among my favourite simple pastimes.
We also SUP around the islands and try to catch the sunset at the Island Yacht Club. And if we have an afternoon off, we toss the football or walk the trails surrounding the Evergreen Brickworks. Toronto has a decent network of walking trails where you’ll stumble upon hidden creeks, sunning turtles and even cottontail rabbits!
6. Let's talk aphrodisiacs: what are your favourite sexy snacks?
Grapes. In the form of red wine.
7. With work, travel, and balancing a social life, sleep can be a challenge. What is your secret to sweet dreams?
I’m not a great sleeper. I need you to teach me! I change time zones 3-4 times per month and I love both late nights and early mornings! Can you help me?
Set your watch to your upcoming timezone as soon as you board the plane to trick yourself forward/backward
Sleep on planes! I find it easy to sleep on planes, so I ask the flight attendants to wake me (they usually give you a little sticker to indicate if you want to be woken) at strategic times. For example, if I’m flying home from Europe in the afternoon, I’ll take a very short nap and ask them to wake me up so that I’ll go to sleep when I return home to Toronto.
If you’re heading east, set your alarm 30 minutes earlier each day for a few days before you leave. I don’t know if this is good advice from a scientific perspective, but it works for me :).
Sleepenvie is a Canadian online mattress-in-a-box and bedroom lifestyle brand that focuses on customization, convenience, and charitable contribution.
We make the mattress-buying process easy by delivering it directly to your door in one easy-to-handle compact box. We strongly believe in customizability, rather than a one-size-fits-all approach. An easy one-minute quiz matches you to the ideal mattress for your lifestyle and sleep habits.