Sleep. It’s a precious and vital resource. Sleep is essential to maintaining good health, energy and an overall sense of well-being. “Healthy sleep” means sleeping soundly, regularly and without interruptions or disturbances for seven to ten hours each night. But for many working parents like myself, getting proper rest is a challenge (to say the least).
I’m a mom to a five-year-old son who thinks waking me up at 5 a.m. to ask for a juice box is OK. I work full-time with long hours. I find myself wide-awake in bed, stressing over looming work deadlines, delayed trains, PTA commitments and just about everything I watch on the evening news.
Somehow, I still make it through the work day, with the help of three to four cups of coffee. When I pick up my son from school, I’m often a jittery mess. It’s clear to me: I need to find balance in my life, and I need to start with getting better sleep.
While researching natural sleep aids, I came across several articles on the latest sleep technology. Some smart sleep devices track sleep pattern data like heart and respiration rate and sit on the bedside table or under the mattress. Another looks like a stylish bracelet and taps into the Earth’s natural frequencies to help increase melatonin, the hormone that controls the body’s sleep and wake cycles.
I’m a fan of any device that will help me get restful
I know I’m not alone in my quest for better sleep and wellness, so I put together a list of the best books,
Top 8 Books for Better Sleep and Enhanced Wellness
1. Sleep Smarter: 21 Proven Tips to Sleep Your Way to a Better Body, Better Health and Bigger Success by Shawn Stevenson - Learn how sleep impacts the body,
2. The Sleep Revolution: Transforming Your Life, One Night at a Time by Arianna Huffington - Arianna explores America’s cultural dismissal of sleep and why “success” needs to be redefined through well-being to achieve a more fulfilling life.
3. The Promise of Sleep: A Pioneer in Sleep Medicine Explores the Vital Connection Between Health, Happiness, and a Good Night’s Sleep - This is an in-depth look at the sleeping body and mnd, and the devastating health and societal consequences of poor sleep.
4. Master Your Sleep: Proven Methods Simplified by Tracey Marks - Dr. Tracey Marks explains how and why we sleep and explores the types and potential causes of sleep disruption.
5. The Secret Life of Sleep by Kate Duff – Explore a mix of research, insightful narratives, insights and timely questions to better understand the value of sleep.
6. The Sleep Book: How to Sleep Well Every Night by Dr. Guy Meadows – This includes a five-week plan to help treat insomnia through a blend of mindfulness and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) techniques.
7. The Harvard Medical School’s Guide to a Good Night Sleep by Dr. Lawrence Epstein - Harvard Medical School's Dr. Lawrence Epstein reveals his proven six-step plan to help achieve a better night’s sleep for better, more energetic days.
8. The Secret World of Sleep: The Surprising Science of the Mind at Rest by Penelope A. Lewis - Understand the roles the sleeping brain plays during waking hours help boost creativity, intelligence and improve overall health.
8 Best Blogs for Understanding Sleep and How It Impacts Overall Well-Being
The National Sleep Foundation’s blog includes the latest sleep news and research to help educate the public on the importance of sleep health.
This features the latest sleep news and information to improve public health and awareness about the importance of sleep and the dangers of sleep disorders.
The American Academy of Sleep Medicine’s blog offers a wealth of sleep health information.
Expect educational and insightful blog posts, interviews, feature articles, product reviews and news about the life-sustaining power of sleep.
5. Van Winkle’s
Find out how sleep affects and informs lives, both at night and during the day.
Dr. Michael J. Breus, a premier sleep disorder specialist, offers insightful articles on sleep disorders, how to sleep better, the nature of dreams and the relationship between sleep and productivity.
Read the latest articles, resources and tips on getting more restful sleep and how to address a full range of sleep problems.
Gain advice and tips on how to adopt healthier sleep habits and raise awareness of the importance of a good night’s sleep to improve health and well-being.
8 Articles on the Importance of Sleep, Better Sleep
by Sarah Klein, Huffington Post
Scientifically-proven tips from sleep experts on how to address a variety of sleep problems
2. “How to Sleep”
by Dr. James Hamblin, The Atlantic
A physician’s guide to better sleep habits and the dangers of masking sleep problems with caffeine and other drugs
by Abigail Abrams, Time
A detailed daily guide with tips on how to transform day and nighttime habits for a better night’s sleep
by Michael Q. Bullerdick, Van Wrinkle’s
Includes theories on how technology will shape the future of sleep
by Jakke Tamminen, The Independent
An in-depth look on how sleep deprivation can negatively alter personality, productivity, decision-making and the ability to learn
by Nick van Dam and Els van der Helm, Harvard Business Review
How sleep influences the ability to problem-solve, lead others and make decisions in the workplace
by Katie Wells, Wellness Mama
Natural methods for improving sleep through proper nutrition, supplements and day and nighttime routines
by Jeff Mann, Sleep Junkies
All about sleep tracking technology, including how it works, what it measures, and what the technology means for the future of sleep health
ABOUT PHILIP STEIN
Philip Stein is a wellness lifestyle brand striving to improve people's well being and quality of life through revolutionary technology in their
Sleepenvie is a Canadian online mattress-in-a-box and bedroom lifestyle brand that focuses on customization, convenience, and charitable contribution.
We make the mattress-buying process easy by delivering it directly to your door in one easy-to-handle compact box. We strongly believe in customizability, rather than a one-size-fits-all approach. An easy one-minute quiz matches you to the ideal mattress for your lifestyle and sleep habits.